Fairy Queen

Here we are another Sunday and half way through the year already!

I have another 5×7 mixed media canvas to share with you today and let me tell you this one went through quite the transformation!

It all started when I had to deal with my partially wet scrap paper after we had some water in the basement due to rain.  Thankfully not much was lost and the rest of my stash was safe!  As I sorted through the scraps I noticed I had a fair bit of pink scraps, which is odd if you know my work well I don’t use lots of pink!

To use up these pink scraps I started by covering the canvas with layers of paper.  Next I used Finnabair White Sand Texture Paste with some Prima Artisan Powder in Antonette Pink mixed in.

I was pretty happy with the background…….then as my idea for the canvas (yes most often I have no idea what the finished product will be until I’m done), and added different elements I didn’t care for the background anymore.

img_1818-814x1024As you can see the background is NOT pink!  I decided it needed a redo, one of the things I love about mixed media is it’s easy to start over if you don’t like something!  I went over the original background with a couple layers of white gesso, then painted it using Finnabair Sparks paint in Unicorn Hair.

Ok I have to pause here for a moment, isn’t the name of that paint just awesome?!!!

img_1822-1024x847

To bring out the texture on the background I added a touch of mist in a butterscotch colour using water to get it in the nooks & crannies.

img_1823-1024x916

I used a number of Tim Holtz dies to build up the elements on my canvas, behind the fairy queen I used Arched Frame, then added one of the Pediments dies on the bottom.  The entrance to the fairy land is the Tim Holtz Ironwork Gate die.  I used Walnut Stain Distress Embossing powder on all those die cuts…….I love the texture this embossing powder gives.

img_1827-808x1024

For the ‘greenery’ I actually used 7 Gypsies Architextures Feathers coloured green they worked perfectly!

The Fairy Queen herself I used the An Angel to Love stamp by Carabelle Studio…….isn’t she gorgeous!!  For her large wings I used packaging from 7 Gypsies Archtextures, please don’t throw them away, the packaging is amazing!  The smaller wings I used one of Lori’s Laser Cut Chipboard pieces.

img_1829-929x1024

While I may not love pink (although some bits of pink still snuck its way in) I do love Fairies,  I think this love started with Tinkerbell when I was a kid!

Remember when you’re creating there are not mistakes just unrealized opportunities to transform your project!

These are the 7 Gypsies Feathers I used turning them into greenery for my project.

7g25041_architextures_tall_base_feathers_1024x1024-634x1024Thank you so much for joining me again today!  I’m so happy to be back here sharing my projects & ideas with all of you!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa on June 10, 2018

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

At Home….

Hi, hello, guess who!  Yup, Norine again!

I’ve got another layout to share today.  Because I still have some winter pictures and some paper left from the Echo Park - A Perfect Winter line.  And I doubt that today’s layout will be the last!

home8

I’m going to share with you, some process photos of the cute evergreen branches and how I made them.  Because the photo has a pot planted at the side of the stairs, full of pines and evergreen boughs, and the paper line has some evergreen motifs included, I wanted to make an accent of that.

home21

I started with a piece of watercolor paper and I daubed on a variety of green colors and lots of water.  I pushed the color around for a bit and then let it dry.  Watercolor pigment dries lighter though, so when it did, I realized I needed more brown color.

home41

Had I started with more brown paint, I don’t think it would have dried with the distinct green undertones like it did, but rather would have blended together and ended up much muddier.  I really like this result.

home51

So, once it was dry, I ran it through the Big Shot die cutting machine, with the Tim Holtz/Sizzix dies called Holiday Greens.  Because I was cutting watercolor paper which is thicker and more textured than regular card stock, I found that I needed to add a shim of another piece of paper in addition to the acrylic cutting plate.  That little bit of extra thickness made all the difference.

home6

Et voila!

home111

Here’s how they looked on the finished layout.

home7

I’m kind of into the look of lots of layers of mat papers behind the photo.  In this case, I used one of the journaling cards cut from one of the papers in the kit to add a bit of blue plaid to the mix.  It’s unlikely I’d used it as a card front or journaling card for Project Life, so it feels extra productive to used it as a photo mat instead.

home9

I added my journaling straight to the layout after drawing lines in pencil to keep the text straight.  Then I stitched the lines on the sewing machine and erased the pencil lines.

home10

I kind of also like the look of layering up elements that don’t actually have anything to do with the theme of the layout, like the chipboard flower from Blue Fern Studios.  I dunno….it works in my head…

Other supplies used: Simple Stories alphabet stickers (AT), Photo Play alphabet stickers (HOME), Bella Blvd washi tape, Pebbles Inc - Jen Hadfield phrase stickers, Crate Paper label sticker, Evalicious puffy sticker.

home13

That’s it for today.  Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful rest of your day!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration


Copyright © 2005-2018 Love is in the Details