Explore, Dream, Discover

Sometimes as we explore art we dream of a project that just doesn’t want to come out the way we expected.  Through the process we discover patience and perseverance.

Don’t give up when something isn’t turning out as you expected, walk away, come back and try again.

This project was one of those.  I had a vision and well it just wasn’t working.  Many, many layers and a nights sleep later the end result is totally different than what I imagined…but I LOVE how it eventually turned out!

img_2243-895x950

Pink…it seems to be my nemesis, I don’t use it often but once in a while it’s the right colour.  However it seems to be the colour I struggle most with trying to get it just right.

img_2239-950x661

But you know using things that you struggle with create a challenge, they make you try techniques or products you haven’t done before.

Then at the end you just have to giggle over the feelings of frustration, and how you almost let a colour get the best of you!

img_2240-950x687

Normally I share some of the products I used, hmmm so many through the layers not entirely sure I could event attempt to list them.

There was lots of gesso, sprays, paint, waxes and embossing powder.  All thrown into the mix for the end result!

img_2242-950x633

I do know that the background started by gluing some packaging that I saved to recycle rather than throwing out.  Texture paste and stencils started the layers for this piece.

To support the fun little frame I picked up years ago (it’s about 3×4″) I added a layer of paper straws.   This allowed me to layer some embellishments under the corners of the frame.

img_2241-950x653

The body of the dragonfly was made using Prima molds, I discovered that hot glue works well in them.  I also discovered that a large glue gun works better than a mini gun.

The wings were cut from Tim Holtz Fanciful Flight die, an oldie but a goodie!

The saying ‘If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again’ definitely applies to this project!

I also remind myself that not every piece I create will be a masterpiece, I mean really it’s not going in a gallery or anything LOL!

Have fun with everything you create and don’t give up!!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa on March 10, 2019

Tags: , , ,

Rescue Mission!

So last week I broke my no more canvases rule and bought a two pack.  BUT it was a rescue mission for a poor pack that one of the canvases had a big hole in it, I just HAD to rescue them!  Who else was going to buy the poor sad canvas with a hole in it and make it pretty?!

As you can see the hole was pretty bad….but it didn’t deter me I was on a mission!

img_4444-768x1024

The first thing I did was reinforce the tear using some white fabric tape, which I may have snuck out of the first aid kit, ssshhh.

img_4445-768x1024

I used some on both the back and front to make sure it was nice and secure!

img_4447-768x1024

Voila like new! :)

Once I had the repairs done I started digging through my stash looking for inspiration and the main piece I wanted to use, which this time was a set of wooden wings!

But I also wanted to try a new colour combination on this project, pushing myself a bit.  So I searched through Pinterest and found this….LOVE the blue & rust together!

img_4458

Once I saw that colour board I was hooked!  I pulled out some Prima paper to use as the base background for my canvas, it already had bits of rust in the paper

img_2041-924x1024

For a little texture I added some old Heidi Swapp acrylic letters, you can’t see them much in the end, but it does spell angel.  Next I used Finnabair’s rust paste with a Tim Holtz stencil in two corners.  Aahhh here comes the rust!

img_2042-952x1024

Once the paste was dry I sprayed some Dylusions ink spray in Squeezed Orange on a portion of the background.  It was a little brighter than I wanted still so I added some Lindy’s Magical Shakers in Bratwurst Brown in the corners with the rust paste, and random bits in other sections.

img_2036-937x1024

The wings also got a coat of Rust Paste and some Lindy’s Magicals in Bratwurst Brown.  The center is a mini canvas that I added texture to using Finnabair Art Stones and texture paste.  Once that was dry I covered it in black gesso before painting it blue with Finnabair Metallique paint in Deep Waters.

img_2037-1024x962

The swirls were cut from Tim Holtz Scroll die and covered with Finnabair Sparks in Magical Pond and Metallique Deep Waters.

To add some finishing touches I used the Magical Pond Sparks and black gesso to add splatters on the back ground.  You’ll also see some micro beads in both a copper and blue colour for added texture and shine!

I have to say I’m in love with these two colours together and will have to use them again!  The blue just pops off the rust, but isn’t too bright either!

Hope you get some time at your craft table, and find something damaged to make pretty!!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa on September 16, 2018

Tags: , , , , , , ,


Copyright © 2005-2019 Love is in the Details