Rescue Mission!

So last week I broke my no more canvases rule and bought a two pack.  BUT it was a rescue mission for a poor pack that one of the canvases had a big hole in it, I just HAD to rescue them!  Who else was going to buy the poor sad canvas with a hole in it and make it pretty?!

As you can see the hole was pretty bad….but it didn’t deter me I was on a mission!

img_4444-768x1024

The first thing I did was reinforce the tear using some white fabric tape, which I may have snuck out of the first aid kit, ssshhh.

img_4445-768x1024

I used some on both the back and front to make sure it was nice and secure!

img_4447-768x1024

Voila like new! :)

Once I had the repairs done I started digging through my stash looking for inspiration and the main piece I wanted to use, which this time was a set of wooden wings!

But I also wanted to try a new colour combination on this project, pushing myself a bit.  So I searched through Pinterest and found this….LOVE the blue & rust together!

img_4458

Once I saw that colour board I was hooked!  I pulled out some Prima paper to use as the base background for my canvas, it already had bits of rust in the paper

img_2041-924x1024

For a little texture I added some old Heidi Swapp acrylic letters, you can’t see them much in the end, but it does spell angel.  Next I used Finnabair’s rust paste with a Tim Holtz stencil in two corners.  Aahhh here comes the rust!

img_2042-952x1024

Once the paste was dry I sprayed some Dylusions ink spray in Squeezed Orange on a portion of the background.  It was a little brighter than I wanted still so I added some Lindy’s Magical Shakers in Bratwurst Brown in the corners with the rust paste, and random bits in other sections.

img_2036-937x1024

The wings also got a coat of Rust Paste and some Lindy’s Magicals in Bratwurst Brown.  The center is a mini canvas that I added texture to using Finnabair Art Stones and texture paste.  Once that was dry I covered it in black gesso before painting it blue with Finnabair Metallique paint in Deep Waters.

img_2037-1024x962

The swirls were cut from Tim Holtz Scroll die and covered with Finnabair Sparks in Magical Pond and Metallique Deep Waters.

To add some finishing touches I used the Magical Pond Sparks and black gesso to add splatters on the back ground.  You’ll also see some micro beads in both a copper and blue colour for added texture and shine!

I have to say I’m in love with these two colours together and will have to use them again!  The blue just pops off the rust, but isn’t too bright either!

Hope you get some time at your craft table, and find something damaged to make pretty!!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa on September 16, 2018

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Tea Time

Grab yourself a cup of tea (well maybe iced tea with this heat), I am sharing some progress photos of my project today so you can see a bit of how it changes and takes on a new life!

Many of you know that a fair bit of my art work is grungy, steampunk themed etc….but I bet you didn’t know that I have a secret love for pretty tea cups & pots!

Yes I love a wide variety of things from bright & cheery to grungy, it’s good for a girl to have her passions!

This project is in honor of that secret love of mine.

I think I mentioned before that I’m on a canvas buying freeze until I use my stash…well I figured out a way to speed the process up, I used two canvases & a background piece for this project!   Is that cheating?! LOL

To start my project I glued the base pieces together, added texture and gave everything a couple coats of white gesso.

progress-1-853x1024

My next step was to add my accent colors, you will see the yellow & pink are VERY bright and vibrant to start.

progress-2-1024x688

To tone down the brightness I added some mocha brown mist and more white gesso with beige paint mixed in.

progress-3-1024x744

Looking better already, and yes a little grungy!  Next I added green mist to the base piece…once again very bright, too bright for my liking!

progress-4-1024x662

The next steps I didn’t capture with a photo, but I needed the green to be less green!  I used some turquoise & black sprays to tone down the green but it still wasn’t right.  Digging through my paint stash I found a very light ocean blue/green chalk paint adding that over top allowing the mists to mix in.  As you can see the results are perfect!

img_1879-1024x832

Once I was happy with the base background colour I decided the pink was not quite right.  Using beige paint, with a touch of pink, texture paste & some fine sand I created some fun texture (think Finnabair rust paste).

img_1882-1024x701

To bring out the texture I used Finnabair’s wax in Aged Brass over many of the surfaces.

img_1880-1024x730

Last time I was at the store I picked up these 49 and Market Sage flowers…LOVE them!  I think my favorite part is the pack comes with swirlies & sprig pieces along with the flowers!

img_1886-1024x683

Of course the center of my project is the fabulous Tim Holtz Tea Time die!  I love that it even includes the little piece to look like the tea bag is in your cup!

I hope you enjoyed your tea, thank you for joining me today as I showed you how my project transformed through multiple layers of different mediums!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa on July 8, 2018

Tags: , , , ,


Copyright © 2005-2018 Love is in the Details