Practice session

Hello everyone, I’m back today with a couple of cards I made using the Tim Holtz Alterations Alphanumeric dies!  I actually have bigger plans for them, but you can’t jump into the ultimate project without practicing first.  So these cards are sort of that.  The practice session.  I don’t see this set of dies listed in the store or the forum, but I do see his new set from CHA 2015, they are right HERE in the store.  If you’re interested in the set I used, let Lori know and she’ll fix you up!

I also got to use the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Wallflower vellum pack.  So lets jump right in!

alphadies1

These dies are approximately 3/4″ tall and all uppercase.  There are 125 dies in the package which gives you many multiples of the more commonly used letters, and one each of the numbers and punctuation.  The advantage of this is the ability to die cut whole phrases or sentences where a letter is needed more than once, not to mention die cutting custom phrases you don’t find mass packaged in stores!

alphadies2

I cut a piece of the vellum to a standard card size, and selected the dies that spelled out my greeting.

alphadies3

Once I was happy with placement and had used a ruler to line up the letters, I taped them down with some washi tape.  Next, I ran it through the Big Shot with a chipboard shim to make up for the thinness of the vellum.  When I pulled off the tape and dies, the letters popped right out!  I adhered the vellum only at the top of the top folding card base and tied on the gold twist string for a really simple embellishment.  With vellum this busy, and the sentiment right out on the front, I didn’t want to risk making it TOO busy.

alphadies6

And naturally, we don’t want to let anything go to waste, so I also used the positives of the die cut greeting to create a 2nd card.  I just happened to have, sitting in front of me on my table, a roll of MT Washi that VERY closely matched the vellum.  I laid a strip of that floral washi and accented it with some narrow chevron washi, stitched over the letters, added a die cut leaf accent and made that be enough.

alphadies4

alphadies5

This set of alphabet dies is going to be a lot of fun, I can already tell.  I hope to get started soon on the bigger project I was mentioning earlier, that will really put them to use!

Thanks for stopping by today!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

Beautiful Dies

The other day I came home to a very large box of new LIITD goodies waiting for me….what a great thing to come home to after a full day of work!  In that box was some new Tim Holtz dies…..which of course I couldn’t wait to play with!

img_0729-546x600

I love butterflies, I use them more than flowers so when I saw the new Butterfly Duo Die & Embossing folder set that Tim Holtz released at Winter CHA this year it quickly went to the top of my list!

The butterflies started out white, I then colored the debossed parts using Spiced Marmalade Distress Marker then inked the emobssed (raised) parts with Black Soot Distress.

img_0737-600x526

The background was created using a piece of chipboard and the Tim Holtz Cameo Frame die. I covered the chipboard with a piece of Tim Holtz WallFlower Vellum, and the frame was painted with Mustard Seed Distress Paint.

img_0739-600x562

I added a few Memory Box dies and finished it off with the word Beautiful from the Tim Holtz Handwritten Love Thinlets set!  I can see myself using these words for so many projects…they are such a great size and I love the scribbly handwritten font he created!

This piece really makes me think of spring…which I hope is right around the corner!

Thank you for stopping by today!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa on February 22, 2015

Tags: , , , ,


Copyright © 2005-2018 Love is in the Details