Out with the old…In with the new!

Happy New Year everyone!!

The new year is always a good time to refresh old things, so with that tradition and my gaining excitement that I might get into my new scrap space soon I decided it was time for new storage for my Blending Foams.  And if I’m going to be brutally honest…I needed more space. LOL

A few years ago I shared this simple book I created to store my Blending Foams, for me this was the perfect solution, easy and portable.  I know a number of members on the site liked the idea and created similar storage books for themselves.

Here is my original book…


As you can see I have room for about 27 Blending Foams…that’s a pretty decent amount right?  Well at the time it was, but over the last few years I seem to have expanded my collection of Distress Ink beyond 27 colors!! :)

So I set out the task to make a new book to house enough Blending Foams to equal my inks, with room for the new Mini Blending Foams, and maybe some extra space…just in case Tim Holtz introduces new colors to the Distress Ink line!


When I set out to the make the book I decided I wanted to try a binding system I’d heard about but had yet to attempt myself.  I think this was a good project to try something new on because it doesn’t need to be perfect (you’ll see my oopsie soon).  The binding I created is referred to as ‘hidden hinge’, you can follow THIS video for the tutorial.


As you can see this binding system is created with space between the pages allowing you to add embellishments (blending foams in my case) to your pages and the book will still close nice.


My book is 6×6 which allows me to store 8 Blending Foams per page and I created the book with 11 pages.  It should have had 12 based on the tutorial but I made a mistake somewhere and had to trim a bit off.  To attach the Blending Foams to the book I picked up some Velcro dots from the dollar store, they are self adhesive and perfect for this project!


Can you spot my mistake in the photo above?  Yup I wasn’t careful when I punched the hole in the back cover for the chain and accidentally punched some of the pages too.  OOPS!  Oh well this is just for me I’ll try not to let it bother my OCD tendencies.


Each page is also a pocket page, as you can see I placed a tag I had made in the pocket to demonstrate.  I’m not sure what I’ll keep in there, maybe blank tags waiting for ink?  I could make pull out pages to write notes on about different techniques or color combos I like.


Of course this project would NOT be complete without adding some Distress Ink!!  I pulled out a sheet of Tim Holtz Kraft Resist paper and inked it with Weathered Wood & Brushed Corduroy.   I stamped this handsome gentlemen onto watercolor paper using black Archival ink, then water colored him with the same Distress Inks I used on the resist paper.  The gears were cut using a Memory Box die.


The finishing touch was some Tim Holtz Ideaology and there you go a new and refreshed Blending Foam storage book!

Thanks for joining me today, if you enjoy making mini albums I hope you will try this binding technique, I know I will use it again!!

Posted under Design Team Inspiration

This post was written by Lisa on January 7, 2015

Tags: , , ,

Copyright © 2005-2020 Love is in the Details